Aston Carter is hiring for a FULLY REMOTE Medical Coder! This person can sit on either EST or CST Time zones!
I. General Summary
Under direct supervision ensures charges are coded appropriately from the medical record as necessary and are entered into the billing system accurately. May code medical records for surgical practices utilizing ICD-9/ICD-10-CM diagnosis and CPT-4 coding conventions Assigns specified codes to medical diagnoses with some coding of specific clinical procedures.
II. Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Deciphers operative reports and other physician medical record documentation to appropriately select codes and maximize charge capture. Ensures coding compliance with established standards and guidelines
2. Acts as liaison between the clinical and billing departments. Answers questions from billing in a timely manner
3. Responsible for ensuring quality, accuracy and timeliness of clinical data contained in patient’s medical record by reviewing and analyzing medical information provided by physicians for reimbursement, statistical and indexing purposes
4. Meets established productivity and proficiency standards
5. Attends coding seminars, hospital and departmental meetings as required or assigned. Actively participates in hospital educational in-services
6. Utilizes appropriate customer relation skills to ensure all customers are treated with respect and dignity and that the confidentiality of their data is upheld
Additional Skills & Qualifications:
III. Education and Experience
1. High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) is required
2. Certification as a CPC or CCS-P required.
3. Three (3) years’ experience in production coding in a surgical setting or in a physician practice environment required. Outpatient professional fee revenue cycle management experience preferred
4. Multispecialty Coding experience required
IV. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Working knowledge of medical record practices, state and federal laws relating to release of medical information.
2. Working knowledge of CPC or CCS-P coding systems, medical terminology to understand diagnoses and procedures, and the content and organization of a medical record.
3. Demonstrated knowledge of MS Office software applications such as Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word is required.
4. Ability to maintain a culture of excellent customer service, open and friendly staff relations and approachable demeanor with all levels of staff.
5. Effective verbal and written communication and listening skills are required to interact with various individuals seeking accounting-related information.
Please Note: Scammers are posing as Aston Carter. We'll never contact you via Gmail, Telegram, or WhatsApp and we'll never solicit money from you.
At Aston Carter, we’re dedicated to expanding career opportunities for the skilled professionals who power our business. Our success is driven by the talented, motivated people who join our team across a range of positions – from recruiting, sales and delivery to corporate roles. As part of our team, employees have the opportunity for long-term career success, where hard work is rewarded and the potential for growth is limitless.
Established in 1997, Aston Carter is a leading staffing and consulting firm, providing high-caliber talent and premium services to more than 7,000 companies across North America. Spanning four continents and more than 200 offices, we extend our clients’ capabilities by seeking solvers and delivering solutions to address today’s workforce challenges. For organizations looking for innovative solutions shaped by critical-thinking professionals, visit AstonCarter.com. Aston Carter is a company within Allegis Group, a global leader in talent solutions.
The company is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regards to race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any characteristic protected by law.
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation, such as the modification or adjustment of the job application process or interviewing process due to a disability, please call 888-237-6835 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for other accommodation options. However, if you have questions about this position, please contact the Recruiter located at the bottom of the job posting. The Recruiter is the sole point of contact for questions about this position.