The Director, Health Information Management ("HIM") identifies, plans, monitors, and directs all opportunities and activities to meet the information and fiscal requirements of the Cancer Center’s inpatient and outpatient (hospital) and provider based (professional practice) functional areas consistent with the regulatory and compliance framework. This includes:
- Oversee all health information coding (HIM) functions, including technical and professional coding, clinical documentation improvement and HIM operations, to ensure timely and compliant coding processes and identify corrective action as appropriate.
- Develop, monitor, and distribute metrics, score cards, financial reporting and dashboards to establish decision making based on analytics.
- Identify, develop and review policies and procedures related to coding.
- Review and implement coding automated and innovated solutions.
- Lead quality and regulatory efforts related with coding.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Health Care or Business Administration
- Minimum of five (5) years' experience in management overseeing health information, to include expert knowledge of health information management practices and procedures, regulatory requirements (including applicable state and federal law), JCAHO standards and HCFA rules and guidelines. Experience must also include installation of computer technology to improve service levels and departmental productivity.
- *Demonstrable ability to provide effective and efficient service in an environment of rapid ambulatory growth.
*Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal and time management skills.
*Strong computer, analytical, problem solving, decision-making and organizational skills.
*Knowledge of DRG and APC reimbursement methodology and third-party billing requirements.
*Detailed knowledge of ICD-10 implications and impacts; ICD-10 certification preferred.
*Ability to communicate and form working relations with individuals at all levels of the
organization, including virtual staff and contract staffing compliments.
Licensure/Certification Required (at least one of these):
- CPMA Certified Professional Medical Auditor
- CPC Cert Professional Coder
- CPC-H Cert Professional Coder-Hosp
- COC Certified Outpatient Coding
- CCS-P Certified Coding Spec-Phys
- CCS Certified Coding Specialist
- RHIT Reg Health Info Technician
- RHIA Reg Health Info Administrator
- *Any add'l certification from an accredited Coding/HIM governing body may be considered
- Master’s degree in Health Care or Business Administration is desired.
- Experience in an academic medical center