We are South City Hospital. Our primary function is to offer continuous nursing, medical, and other health and social services on a 24-hour basis, under physician directed care and RN supervision.
We service a multitude of patients and their families across our vast network, while remaining committed to the professional development of our staff, the functional improvement of our patients, and the cultivation of strong partnerships within our communities.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Essential/stable and growing company with many opportunities for training and advancement within the medical field that all employees and team members (including Full-Time and Part-Time) can benefit from.
- Hourly pay is negotiable based on experience. We offer competitive market pay and opportunities for bonus depending on great work performance (bonuses only apply for Full Time).
- Comprehensive Employee Benefits: Full-Time employees are eligible for various plans for medical, dental, and vision insurance.
The Coding Specialist is responsible for the review of all inpatient and outpatient medical records with assignment of the appropriate ICD-10-CM and CPT-4 codes according to established coding guidelines to ensure appropriate reimbursement for the hospital.
- Utilizing approved classification and nomenclatures, assigns ICD-10-CM and CPT-4 codes to all inpatient and outpatient medical records in an accurate and timely manner, noting discrepancies and meeting quality guidelines of 95% or greater per established department procedure.
- Utilizing approved classification and nomenclatures, assigns ICD-10-CM and CPT-4 codes to all inpatient and outpatient medical records in an accurate and timely manner, noting discrepancies and meeting productivity guidelines per established department procedure.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the regulation implications and responsibilities related to the assignment of ICD-10-M and CPT-4 codes and reimbursement guidelines to protect the patient and the financial viability of the hospital, complying with all applicable department and hospital policies, including those of professional and ethical conduct.
- Strictly adheres to Coding Policies and Standards of Ethical Coding, the American Hospital Association's Coding Clinic and Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting, and the American Medical Association's CPT Assistant. Is responsible for familiarizing self with these policies and regulations in order to insure correct and ethical coding.
- Operates designated equipment, including: applicable hardware and software programs, i.e., 3M Encoder, and HBOC-STARR as directed to complete assignments, maintaining appropriate care of equipment and notifying appropriate manager if repair or replacement is needed.
- Adheres to Lab Compliance Plan as it pertains to coding. This includes the assignment of diagnoses based on documentation from the physician on the Lab Compliance Form, and consulting the physician for clarification of any conflicting or ambiguous documentation.
- Efficiently and effectively performs coding functions in order to assist the Coding Team in meeting and maintaining the DNFB/AR days goal of 4.0 days or less.
- Assists and helps coordinate the trauma and/or cancer database through data collection and analysis as related to job.
- Maintains the highest level of strict confidentiality of patient information per established department policy.
- Follows department policies and procedures to contribute to the efficiency of the Health Information Management Department, and in order to maintain consistent workflow in all areas throughout the department.
- Uses interpersonal skills effectively to build and maintain cooperative working relationships 100% of the time by cooperating with staff and supervisors, contributing to team and department efforts, and sharing helpful information. Maintains a professional attitude and sets a positive example for others.
- Prioritize work assignments to contribute to the efficiency of the team. Is flexible with work schedule in order to meet the hospital and department deadlines and goals.
- Expands job-related knowledge and skills to improve performance and adjust to change by participating in continuing education activities. Maintains credentialing by attending workshops and seminars that are specific to job duties.
- Performs other duties as assigned within scope of knowledge and job.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, clinical medicine, surgery, diagnostic tests, radiology, pathology, pharmacology, and the various medical specialties as required in areas of responsibility.
- Knowledge of medical coding guidelines and practices and state and federal regulations.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Ability to decipher difficult handwriting.
- Ability to operate designated computer.
- Ability to operate independently with minimal supervision and maintain professionalism.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to be flexible with schedule and additional work assignment.
- Ability to work under pressure with time constraints and continual deadlines.
- Ability to concentrate and maintain accuracy in spite of frequent interruptions.
- Attention to detail.
- Accuracy in recording data and data entry.
- Ability to work as a team and develop a positive rapport with co-workers.