Jan 16, 2024
(CPC) Certified Professional Coder
(COC) Certified Outpatient Coder
(CIC) Certified Inpatient Coder
(CCS) Certified Coding Specialist
(RHIT) Registered Health Information Technician
- Days, 8:00 am -5:00 pm
- Remote position
- This position is responsible for performing daily activities related to coding auditing, education and training of the content areas ERHI has coding oversight for UW Medicine
- Serves as the organizational coding content experts and responds to general questions and inquires related to DRG, ICD, CPT and/or HCPCS coding
• Enterprise Records and Health Information (ERHI) is a Shared Service Department that supports all aspects of the patient medical record from governance, integrity, documentation timeliness, completion, clinical coding, billing, release, and tracking to management of access, retention, and destruction.
• ERHI provides advice and resources related to the lifecycle management of all UW Medicine records
• ERHI is an integral part of the Enterprise Revenue Cycle and has a unique role in the organization that supports both clinical and operational activities.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves as an organization resource and content expert for documentation and coding guidelines
- Provides expert coding content knowledge to UW Medicine staff and other key stakeholders and coordinates and provides guidance to, Compliance, Clinical Documentation Improvement, Utilization Management, Clinical Resource Management, Revenue Integrity, Charge Master Operations and Patient Financial Services on matters involving coding and/or billing compliance related issues
- Monitors developments in related rules, regulations and coding changes; make recommendations to maintain coding compliance, quality and mitigate risk
- Performs regular coding audits, analyzes results and creates audit reports
- Provides individual and group education and training to Coding staff on the results of coding audits
- Assists in the development and implementation of role specific coding training for ERHI staff; including the effective monitoring, auditing and risk assessment activities.
- Reviews, analyzes and determines effectiveness of training, assess effectiveness against entity/workforce member type/and industry key performance indicators, and recommend enhancements to training content and user experience
- Evaluates billing/coding/documentation behavior and identify recommendations for improvement and provides consultation and best practice guidance to engage and influence outcomes
- Maintains written documentation of actions, activities or assessments (e.g., investigations, patient rights, audits, process improvement projects, corrective action plans, education and training plans) in accordance with state and federal law, and institutional policies. Retains records in accordance with the UW Retention Schedule and department policy
REQUIRED POSITION QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in a Health Sciences discipline, Business Administration or related field, or equivalent combination of education and/or work experience;
- Coding knowledge and experience in facility and/or professional coding;
- Four years increasingly responsible related experience, including coding auditing, analysis, education and training.
- Certified as a Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), Certified Coding Specialist – Physician Based (CCS-P), Certified Professional Coder (CPC), Certified Inpatient Coder (CIC), Certified Outpatient Coder (COC), Certified Interventional Radiology Cardiovascular Coder (CIRCC), Radiology Certified Coder (RCC) or Radiation Oncology Certified Coder (ROCC);
- Extensive knowledge of DRG, ICD, CPT and/or HCPCS coding principles and guidelines;
Required Experience Level
Minimum Experience Required
No required travel
US residents only