Remote Inpatient Facility Fee (PTF) Medical Coder
As a result of recent new contracts awarded in the last month under the VHA National Medical Coding BPA, Cooper Thomas, LLC, a leading provider of medical coding services to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), has immediate openings for experienced Inpatient PTF Coders with at least 2 years of experience for part-time (W-2) or part-time (1099) remote coding positions, with the opportunity for a flexible schedule.
Previous experience with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is required, either as a VA employee or a contractor working for VA. You should have experience working in a productivity-driven environment with a government contractor and will be expected to code at an accuracy level of at least 95%. All coders are responsible for correcting their own errors without further payment. This work will be performed remotely in your home office at your convenience as long as you meet the required turnaround time to complete coding.
Preference will be given to those candidates who meet the qualifications below and have an active Background Investigation, COI, PIV Card, eToken, and active Moonlighter and/or Contractor Citrix Network Account.
· Working knowledge of CPT, ICD-10, and DRG assignment and must be able to code PTF charts in ICD-10
· Ability to code the minimum per-hour productivity, including the related procedures, with 95% accuracy
· Active credentials as a certified coder and completion of all requirements to maintain active credentials
· Ability to follow site-specific coding guidelines that may vary from site to site
· Formal training in anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, pathology and disease processes, pharmacology, health record format and content, reimbursement methodologies and conventions, rules and guidelines for current classification systems (ICD, CPT, HCPCS)
· Experience including, but not limited to data validation; analyzing and generating reports; reviewing and abstracting health record information, adhering to coding compliance, and ensuring that CPT/AMA and ICD codes and modifiers support clinical and physician documentation for proper and consistent data collection and reimbursement
· Familiarity with ICD nomenclature, CPT, SNOMED, HCPCS, JCAHO, DSM, DRC, medical and procedural terminology, anatomy and physiology, laboratory results, and disease processes
· Must be familiar with coding in VIP as well as the 101, 401, 501, 601, and 701 Screens
Accepted Coding Credentials
American Health Information Management Association:
· Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) / Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT)
· Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) / Certified Coding Specialist-Physician (CCS-P)
· Clinical Modification/Procedure Coding System Trainer
American Academy of Professional Coders:
· Certified Professional Coder (CPC) / Certified Professional Coder-Hospital (CPC-H)
· Certified Inpatient Coder (CIC)
Minimum Education Requirement
· High School Diploma or equivalent
Cooper Thomas, LLC is a leading provider of health information management services. Established in Washington, DC in 2003, Cooper Thomas offers competitive pay and most importantly a steady volume of coding work weekly. The selected candidate will be required to undergo a background investigation. Veterans encouraged to apply. Equal opportunity employer.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To apply, please go to the “Careers” section of our website at www.cooperthomas.com, and follow the instructions to register and apply.