Nov 15, 2023
AAPC Recruiting Services
Groton, CT, USA
$29.00 - $39.00 hourly
(CPC) Certified Professional Coder
(CCS-P) Certified Coding Specialist - Physician Based
(RHIT) Registered Health Information Technician
(RHIA) Registered Health Information Administrator
- Responsible for assignment of accurate Evaluation and Management (E&M) codes, ICD diagnoses, current procedural terminology (CPT) and Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS), modifiers and quantities derived from medical record documentation (paper or electronic) for outpatient encounters in a US Government facility. Plays a significant role in coding compliance activities.
Knowledge and Skill:
- Excellent computer/communication skills
- Knowledge of anatomy/physiology and disease process, medical terminology, coding guidelines (outpatient), documentation requirements, familiarity with medications and reimbursement guidelines; and encoder experience.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and appropriately prioritize tasks to meet deadlines
- RHIT, RHIA, CPC, CCS-P
- Obtain the required CEU requirements to maintain current and proper certifications
- Minimum of 3 years in the outpatient setting within the last 5 years including assignment of E/M, CPT, and HCPCS codes.
- Encompass multiple medical specialties (Family Practice, Pediatrics, Gastroenterology, OB/GYN, etc.) that utilize ICD, E/M, CPT, and HCPCS codes. Ancillary specialties (PT/OT, Radiology, Lab, Nutrition, etc.) that do NOT use E/M codes do not count as qualifying experience.
- Additionally, coding, auditing and training exclusively for specialties such as home health, skilled nursing facilities, and rehabilitation care will NOT be considered as qualifying experience. Coding experience limited to making codes conform to specific payer requirements for the business office (insurance billing, accounts receivable) is NOT a qualifying factor.
- Two years of outpatient/ambulatory surgery experience may be qualifying if received in a military medical facility.
UNIQUE MILITARY HEALTH CARE SYSTEMS/PROCEDURES:
- Armed Forces Health Longitudinal Technology Application (AHLTA)
- Composite Health Care systems (CHCS) and/or MHS GENESIS
- Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS);
- Military Filing System - by sponsor social security number, terminal digit order, color-coded and blocked filing system.
- Contents of a military medical record, layout, sections, family member prefix designation, forms used in an MTF, and the medical record tracking procedures.
- EssentrisTM, the client-server version of the Clinical Information System (CIS)
- Coding Compliance Editor (CCE) Systems
- Biometric Data Quality Assurance Service (BDQAS) - https://bdqas.afms.mil/index2.htm
- MHS Coding Guidelines http://www.tricare.mil/ocfo/bea/ubu/coding_guidelines.cfm
- Outpatient Primary and Specialty - 100-120 Records/Encounters per day
Required Experience Level
Minimum Experience Required
No required travel
US residents only