Experienced urology coders are encouraged to sit for the CUC™ exam. CUC certification endorses proficiency applying correct ICD-10-CM, CPT®, HCPCS Level II, and modifier assignment when reporting urology services and procedures, such as urinalysis, cystoscopies, biopsies, prostatectomies, etc.
The CUC certification exam will test:
- Ability to read and abstract physician office notes and operative notes to apply correct ICD-10-CM, CPT®, HCPCS Level II, and modifier coding assignments
- Application of CPT® evaluation and management (E/M) guidelines
- Rules and regulations for Medicare billing — including incident to, teaching situations, shared visits, consultations, and global surgery
- Coding of ancillary procedures performed in a urology practice such as urinalysis, injections, etc.
- Coding of surgical procedures performed by urologists such as cystoscopies, biopsies, prostatectomies, etc.
- Time-based coding
- Medical terminology
- Anatomy and physiology