Experienced ob-gyn coders are encouraged to sit for the COBGC™ exam. COBGC certification validates coding proficiency for the spectrum of obstetric services — from antepartum care and delivery to postpartum care and surgical procedures that include hysterectomies, biopsies, colpopexies, etc.
The COBGC certification exam will test:
- Ability to read and abstract physician office notes and operative notes to apply correct ICD-10-CM, CPT®, HCPCS Level II, and modifier coding assignments
- Application of CPT® evaluation and management (E/M) guidelines
- Rules and regulations for Medicare billing — including incident to, teaching situations, shared visits, consultations, and global surgery
- Coding of obstetric services including antepartum care, deliveries and postpartum care
- Coding of surgical procedures performed by OB/GYN physicians such as hysterectomy, biopsies, colpopexy, etc.
- Medical terminology
- Anatomy and physiology