Experienced emergency department coders are encouraged to sit for the CEDC® exam. CEDC certification endorses excellence in coding the myriad procedures performed by emergency department physicians, such as thoracentesis, laceration repair, moderate sedation, fracture care, foreign body removal, etc.
The CEDC certification exam will test:
- Ability to read and abstract physician office notes and operative notes to apply correct ICD-10-CM, CPT®, HCPCS Level II, and modifier coding assignments
- Application of CPT® evaluation and management (E/M) guidelines
- Rules and regulations for Medicare billing — including incident to, teaching situations, shared visits, consultations, and global surgery
- Coding of surgical procedures performed by ED physicians such as thoracentesis, laceration repair, fracture care, foreign body removal, etc.
- Coding of moderate sedation
- Time-based coding
- Medical terminology
- Anatomy and physiology